GIRLS S04E01



One of my New Year's Resolutions was to write more, but the problem is that I'm not completely sure what I'd like to write about. I thought here would be a good place to start though, so I've set myself the little challenge of writing once a week about something that I like or that inspires me.... or just about general topics I'd like to discuss with you. I'm hoping I can keep motivated this way; the truth is that I actually miss being set University assignments. The feeling of finishing something you've worked hard on is just wonderful, so here goes...

Earlier this week after a long day of work I sat down to watch the newly released episode of Girls. Now in its fourth season, episode 1 picks up where it left off with a brief recap of Hannah's latest "thing", (each season she tends to have a different thing that shes working on or towards). It also reminds us of Marnie's latest boy drama when it cuts to a rather provocative sex scene featuring her new man, who's still dating his other girlfriend by the way. Said scene ruffled a few feathers and was called unnecessary but I think it helps portray Marnie's selfishness, ugliness and cruel intentions wonderfully; she may have a sweet face but in no way is she innocent.

Despite not much actually happening, I feel this first episode was just easing us into the shit-storm that's about to happen. The final scene was heartbreaking and set the tone for the rest of the season - it also reminded us of Hannah's selfish nature and confirmed our suspicions that she's fallen out of love. When it finished I felt sad and kind of hated her, but then I think we're supposed to be hating her at the moment, right? That's one of the reasons I love the show - you find yourself changing your mind about characters all of the time. It keeps it interesting. Do you watch Girls and what did you think of the new episode? Also who's your favourite character?   

On a similar note, I recently read Lena Dunham's autobiography and was blown away by it. She's so brave, talented and inspiring - I felt like taking on the world by the time I'd finished. I don't really have any role models or like looking up to people that much, (we are after all only ever going to be ourselves), but people like her do keep my own ambitions alive, and I really appreciate that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.