COPENHAGEN | PART 1


Those of you who follow me on Instagram will have already seen that I spent my weekend in the beautiful capital of Denmark. I'm back in London now missing Copenhagen's quaint cobbled streets and snug cafes - but hey, I'll be down in Devon with my family by 7pm this evening so I shan't be feeling the post-holiday blues too much!

After our 5.30am start on Thursday Matt and I were pretty tired by the time we arrived at our apartment in Norrebro, we therefore spent most of our first afternoon in Copenhagen wandering around the local area before having a chilled night in. We found this great burger bar called The Bronx, which was just a 10 minute walk from where we stayed; the food and drinks were delicious, the staff were super friendly and the place had a really positive, cosy vibe. We actually ended up going back for lunch on the Saturday!

The following morning we woke up bright and early to get out and enjoy the sights. Because Copenhagen is actually quite a small city we decided to walk everywhere to save money on travel. On our way into central we went into The Round Tower, which you can walk up to get a spectacular view of the city. From the top all of the little cobbled streets and terracotta buildings looked like they were part of a toy town; there was also a photography exhibition on in the tower, which was a nice surprise.

We continued our walk through the city, stopping for mulled wine along the way in a lovely Christmas market, which had set up right in the centre around Stroget. Stroget is one of the longest pedestrian shopping streets in Europe and boasts an amazing selection of shops from independent galleries to major high street brands like Topshop - I would highly recommend Copenhagen for shopping. We headed past the shops towards iconic Nyhavn, a picturesque 17th Century harbour scattered with cafes, restaurants and market stalls. It was super pretty but I'd love to revisit in summer as I imagine it's even more beautiful on a summer's day set against a beautiful blue sky!


I couldn't help but head back to Stroget for a better look around; we spent a good hour in Tiger buying silly Christmas presents - very exciting. I also found a great shop called Weekday, which was kind of like a H&M / Cos hybrid. Once we were all shopped out, astonishingly, it was still only four in the afternoon and so we headed to a nearby Italian to warm up and enjoy an early dinner before facing Tivoli.

Tivoli was AMAZING. I anticipated the worst, expecting big crowds, noise and all of the other annoyances that come hand-in-hand with funfairs or theme parks, (I'm not into rides). On entering the park however we were greeted with the most wonderful, glittering sight; I literally thought I was in the North Pole visiting Santa. Christmas lights decorated the entire park, which was huge and contained an extremely cosy Christmas market alongside pubs, restaurants and, yes that's right, fairground rides! We treated ourselves to more mulled wine, (which just so happened to be the yummiest I'd ever tasted), and wandered around, completely dazzled by the view - it was a lot to take in all at once!   



Saturday was super cold. We'd planned a full day of exploration around Norrebro but that just didn't happen.... we did, as I mentioned previously, revisit The Bronx Burger Bar for another amazing burger though; I could't get enough of their hot chocolates either! We also walked down the trendy street Elmegade, which has a cluster of boutique, vintage and secondhand stores next to cosy pubs and cafes. I only returned from Copenhagen last night and I've already been on venere.com checking out accommodation for Amsterdam! I've well and truly got the travelling bug... I will try to get the rest of my holiday photos up tomorrow, but for now, I'm off to Devon to see my family, whoop!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.